Preferance for a "kit gun"?

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Earl Three Beavers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Preferance for a "kit gun"?

Post by Earl Three Beavers »

I've looked at a S&W 317, which looks about ideal for a 22 LR gun for camping trips but can't bring myself to plunk down over five Benjamins for it. DA, 8 shots would make it nice to load in 5 Power Points and 3 snake shot, it's compact, and stainless.

The Ruger Bearcat looks a bit small for an average sized hand, and the Single six too big a piece for a camping bag. I'd really prefer a DA revolver. Anyone know of other makes in a 2"-4" revolver for 22 LR? Thanks.
Lord, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Preferance for a "kit gun"?

Post by Hotshot »

Charter Arms makes a nice little DA at lower price than a S&W. Taurus probably does too since they copy just about everything else good on the market.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

E3B: I've been a fan of Kit Guns for a very long time, liking them on the trail for hiking, camping, fishing, and on my pack belt when big game hunting. Great for the coup de grace if needed, and the occasional grouse that sits 8' away in a fir, begging to come back to camp with me for dinner. ;)

Granted, high quaility Kit Guns like the S&W's are getting more expensive every year. I purchased these two some time ago, and between the two, and the combinations they offer in terms of ammo types and capacity, have filled the bill 100%.

The first one is a 4" Mdl 651, 22WMR, that I ordered the 22LR cylinder from the S&W parts dept, then had my smith properly fit and time it to my revolver. All stainless, it's heavier than the Mdl 317, but holds better for delibrate shooting, and offers the choice between 22LR and 22WMR...nice.

The 3" Model 317 is only 11 ozs, and I don't even know it's there on my hunting pack belt, and offers 8 shots of 22LR Power Point. For summer hiking, this is the baby to carry. I had a local fellow make the thumb break holster about 30 years ago for my old blue Kit Gun, that was replaced with a 22LR M63 stainless (also discontinued), that was replaced with the M651 when I found out they were being discontinued (a sad move by S&W).

I found this new M617 Airweight at a gunshow for $350 a few years ago, I'm stunned to hear they bring five big ones now. :?

In my hunting pack rig, it's on my left side for cross-draw carry (I'm right handed) so as not to interfere with my rifle, and is about un-noticed in the field, being a virtual featherweight. The holster carries normally on my right kidney, out of the way and always handy in the field.

I'd shop around for used on the net to find a nice M317, as the Smith Kit Guns are top drawer, will last a lifetime, are made here in the USA with an excellent warranty, parts availability, and reputation for quality. Five big ones now???? Unbelieveable! :shock:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Earl Three Beavers

Right purty Smiths there, Rick. :)

Yup, most of the local gun shops don't even carry S&W revolvers nowadays, seems they have priced themselves out of the general market. Buds Gun Shop has had the Model 317, 3", Hi Viz sight for about $507, and a few of them listed; I haven't seen them sell any yet on Gunbroker. :(

I do have a model 617 6" 10 shot, really nice gun, but a bit much to carry around as a kit gun for camping. That Airlight 3" sounds like the ticket for me.

Hotshot, the Taurus 94SS 2" Ultralite that you alluded to looks nice on their web site. I'll have to get to a gun show this month and handle one, check out the feel and quallity. ;) A 4" stainless one is being offered on Gunbroker for $330, but I'll wait to see a lighter model.
Earl Three Beavers

Guys, I went with the Taurus 94 ss Ultralite. 18 ounces, nine shots, nice looking gun and the rubber grips fit my hand well. $349. + some for the Govenah. Exterior fit and finish is nice. :)

SA trigger pull = 4 3/4 lbs, DA pull is off my scale, > 8 lbs. Not as smooth as a Smith but got smoother after I ran 99 rounds through it. I had to file the rear sight down a tad to put the gun at zero at 15 yards. It groups well, even for these ole eyes, and I got the windage adjusted spot on. Will go over the action over the holidays and smooth things up a bit.

I'll likely load it with six Power Points and three bird shot; it should make a good camp pistol. :wink:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

E3B: Glad you got hooked up with a nice little Kit Gun that you like. Once you get her squared away and have time, post a pic of the little sweetie. I have not seen those 94SS Ultralights yet.

Nice, small, accurate little rimfires have an allure all their own, and sure are practical too. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails