Couldn't resist...

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Couldn't resist...

Post by Squatting Wolf »

My Thanksgiving with the fiancé turned out even better than expected when I found out her cousin's husband has his FFL. One thing lead to another and before I knew it, I had placed an order for a new S&W revolver.

It's a model 686 plus, 7 shot .357 mag with 2 1/2" barrel and adjustable rear sights. I thought it was pretty sweet looking with the black flames engraved on the cylinder!

I can't wait to pick it up, it actually came in today but I have to wait until December 14th before I'll be back down to the St. Louis area to get it!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Couldn't resist...

Post by Glen »

Thats a nice lookin mini rig you got there!! I really like the looks of the little hot rod & it's in my favorite handgun caliber too!! Congrats!!
it actually came in today but I have to wait until December 14th before I'll be back down to the St. Louis area to get it!

Definite ROAD TRIP!!!!!! :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SWolf: Very nice!! A new toy is always cool, and if it wears the S&W logo, even better! That will be a great carry rig in an excellent caliber.

What is the story of the laser-etched flames? Was that done at the factory, or an aftermarket facility? First time I've seen that, and it looks pretty neat. (From my old hot car and chopper days, I'm a "flame kinda guy", and those are very well done).

I've got the exact revolver, but in 6", and it's one of my favorites. You'll love yours.

Congrats! :cheer:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Glen - a road trip is very tempting! :chin:

Rick - the gun is coming from Lew Horton Distributing Co. (http://www.lewhorton.com) which specializes in special edition and custom guns by the big name manufacturers. It was the first time that I had seen anything like that as well and it seems like I'm always looking for something a little different so as soon as I saw it, I fell in love! I was wanting something for around the house and for carrying anyways and I love the Smith's so as soon as he showed me a picture of one, I place the order.

What would you recommend as far as a hoslter for this little rig?

As soon as I pick it up, i'll get some additional pictures posted.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Central Illinois to St. Louis??!! :chin:

There & back in just a few short hours if you hurry!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Glen,

I'm it's about a 3 hour trip to get down to where I need to go which isn't too bad. If I still lived around the Springfield area I'd be even closer! I'll have to see what all I've got going on this weekend.... :wink:
Glen

Post by Glen »

:jive: I knew you couldn't wait!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :P

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SWolf: Holster for the cool little rig.......lots of choices there, by golly.

This depends on if you want a concealment rig or a field rig. I'm thinking of concealment, as it can double for the field. Do you prefer a belt rig or shoulder rig?

I've got a Lew Horton special/limited run S&W M29 Classic 3" Full Lug, unfluted, round butt .44 Mag that I had El Paso Saddlery make me a thumb-break FBI rig that has a forward cant, rides on my right kidney, is set up for a wide 'gunfighter belt' (lots of support), that when carried with the revolver loaded is a shear joy, and you hardly know its there. This sounds like about what I think you have in mind so far. Those guys (El Paso) have been making holsters for 100+ years, and the quality is top notch in every respect. The prices are very fair too. That M686 would be right at home in one of these.....

A very compact rig to carry a full size N-Frame Smith shorty:

El Paso Saddlery offers a huge selection, and all holsters are made to order. They have moulds for about every handgun in existance. You can add tooling or any custom feature you can dream up.

You may also want to check out the Galco website, as they offer some nice rigs with lots of choices of materials. Milt Sparks also comes to mind, as does Kramer in Tacoma, WA. I don't know about you, but I, nor any of my close friends subscribe to the current trend of what we call "fruit of the loom" holsters, meaning the nylon/cordura junk that's out there these days. Call me old fashioned, but good handguns deserve good gunleather. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick - I'm not sure how I've ever going to decide on a holster! I checked out the places you mentioned and they all have numerous choices. I do beleive I would like a belt rig so that helps narrow things down a bit (only slightly however :eek: ) and I really like some of the ones that El Paso Saddlery had so I'm thinking I'll go with one of them.

Here's links to a couple that look interesting to me...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-162-72-crosshair.aspx

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-72-20-77-t ... lster.aspx

By the way, that's a good looking set up you have there.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SWolf: It appears you're leaning the same direction as myself on the holster decision. I've got a number of their Mdl 77 Tortilla's, and can recommend EPS
highly, and compare them to any of the other high quality makers out there.

As an aside, many carry professionals also choose El Paso Saddlery for their gunleather (Galco also), and both names are highly trusted in LE circles. You can't go wrong with either. I've used EPS for everything from small pocket auto's, all the way up to full size S&W N frames with complete satisfaction for many years.

When you finally decide, shoot us a pic of the Smith in it's new rig. I bet you're exicted......am I right? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Rick...............which el paso would be used to were my s/w 629 4" in the center of lower back?? They show a 2 slot and 3 slot models for consealment.
I've noticed in some of your shooting photos of you. You were your in the center.
Just some question for thought. I don't have a carry holster for a walk about in the field for my 629.
Thanks for any input. Your always helpful an to the point.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hi Ray - There's two styles and brands of holsters I wear that you may be referring to. The one below is from El Paso Saddlery, and is their Mdl 77 or Tortilla. I've got many of these for my S&W revolvers, pancake style, concealable, but also great for the field, as they can be worn high-ride style, out of the way, and afford a quick draw/easy access to the handgun. They work well for getting in and out of your truck, and are comfortable when driving as they tuck right into the body. This is the model I suggested above to Squatting Wolf, and shows my 3" M29 Classic. They also make it for your 4" M629.

El Paso Mdl 77/Tortilla shown below with a K-Frame S&W Mdl 617 4", 10-shot 22LR. This a shot taken near Havre, Montana when I was popping prairie dogs at the mid-840 yard mark using my custom Holland 243 Ackley Improved.

The rig shown below is from Galco, called their SOB (Small Of Back). They make it for both autos and revolvers. I like this one as it's completely out of the way in the field, gives instant access to the handgun, and you hardly know it's there. Great for concealment also with a jacket or shirt tail to cover the weapon, but not the hot setup for driving as you can imagine. This style also allows for other things to be worn on your belt in the hip position.

This is the rig showing my Kimber Tactical 5" holstered, with the Kimber 22LR conversion unit aboard (great for shots of opportunity at Skippy for .45 familiarity). Eastern Oregon, having fun with squirrels and my 17 Mach IV (Sako Vixen L461/Shilen/McMillian w/Canjar single set trigger & Leupold 6.5-20X, shooting 25gr Bergers)

The Galco SOB shown is a two slot holster, ditto for the El Paso rig above. The three slot rigs give you the choice of different cant angles for the handgun. For all around use, field, driving, and concealment, the El Paso design, or pancake type is probably the best choice. Most good makers offer this style for good reason....very popular and practical.

Hope this helps your decision. Let us know what you come up with. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Glen

Post by Glen »

So didjagitit?? :lol:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Glen - Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get down there this weekend, we had crappy weather with sleet and ice and didn't feel like making the trip (i should refraise that, I really, really, really, really wanted to make the trip but thought better of driving on ice for 3 hours to get it).

This weekend I have a fish fry that's been planned for over a month now so I don't know if I'll be able to get it this coming weekend either...it's killing me, knowing it's just sitting there!

Rick - after seeing your Galco SOB holster, I'm really torn. I thought I had narrowed my choice down to a couple from El Paso Saddlery... :idea: ...maybe I should get both!
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Yep, ice is for drinks and such, NOT driving on :roll: .......................Smart choice, it'll still be there when you're ready to pick it up, and you won't have a buggered up ride! :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!