Broken Loaded Chamber Indicator

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
hozz57

Broken Loaded Chamber Indicator

Post by hozz57 »

I went to the range to check out a new red dot sight for my Ruger MKIII. Allthough I was very impressed with my groups (1 hole ten shot groups @ 11 yds) at shot 89 the gun jambed, I felt some powder burns on my hand and the last round in the magazine was squished. I popped the clip out and as I cleared the action I saw something fall onto the bench. It was a piece of the indicator. I didn't try to fire it again and I have a call into Ruger customer service. :huh: Also, the gun wont dry fire, I can hear a faint click but thats all.
Has anyone else encountered this problem.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
hozz57

Re: Broken Loaded Chamber Indicator

Post by hozz57 »

I took my MKIII up to the Ruger plant in Precott AZ to have it looked at on friday Nov. 02. It would have been cheaper to send it to them but I enjoyed the drive up. A very nice lady named Colleen came out and took my gun and information and said she'd call me. I never got a call but I did get the pistol back the following wednesday! :eek:

I took it out to the range last friday and all is well :D

I believe that firearms manufacturers have some of the best customer service out there and the folks at Sturm Ruger certainly are right up there at the top of my list!!
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Hozz , I have a MK III also and so far no problems , maybe 2000 rounds through it so far . I'm looking for a aimpoint for it and not sure what to get , I see them priced from 39.00 to 300.00 , what are differences ?? And what did you go with ??
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CH: You may want to consider the Leupold-Gilmore line of red dot sights. I used their LG-1 on my old Ruger MK-I, and a squirrel sticking it's head out it's hole at 50 yards is making a big mistake. At 25 yards using WW Power Point HP's, it will cut one ragged hole that can be covered with a dime using a wrist rest on a sandbag.

Two friends also went this route, and have seen the same results with their MK-III's. They run about $150 in all versions. The LG-1 uses a .5 MOA dot; other size dots are available.

My old MK-I 5.5" bull barrel having it's way with Skippy:

Here's Captqc's mounted on his MK-III Hunter:

No wonder Skippy hates these pistols using these sights:

There are others available, but I like the fact that the Leupold/Gilmore sights do not overpower the handgun, and I'm not really a fan of scopes on handguns, but this one works for me for this application.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Thanks Rick , I had talked with earlier about a gilmore I found on e-bay , it went off pretty hi and being used I was skeptical so I let it go , I will probably order a new one unless I can find a good used one resonable , thanks for the info , Bruce