New Model Super Blackhawk - not a shooter!

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

New Model Super Blackhawk - not a shooter!

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I took the Ruger out that I picked up a week or so ago and it is not a shooter. I tried several different types of ammo (specials and magnums) and just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I let a couple others give it a try. The best we could do is 7-8 inch groups at 25 yards. We were shooting off a handgun rest with open sites.

I was expecting 2-3 inch groups with open sites and tigher once I put optics on it, was that to much to expect? It looked like I had one cyclinder that shot where I expected it and the rest were scattered.

I guess it's either send to a gunsmith or push it down the road for something different. I hate to get rid of it, it's a sweet looking pistol with a lot of work done to it. As it stands now, I can shoot steel plates at 10 yards and have decent luck but as far as a hunting revolver, there is no way!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: New Model Super Blackhawk - not a shooter!

Post by glenn asher »

If you have a local gunsmith, have him check the chamber throats and the forcing cone, something's not right there. Rugers usually shoot quite well, but they do seem to have trouble with the chamber throats and forcing cones. Neither of those operations cost a wad of money, it's mostly hand reaming work. If you don't have a good local smith, send it to Powers Custom, in Independence MO, or even back to Ruger, and have them make it right. I've never seen a Blackhawk that wouldn't shoot well.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

What weight of bullet?

Used pistol or new? Any lead in the barrel?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: The fact that she's not a shooter may be why it was on the used shelf from her last owner.

As Glenn mentioned, it may be a forcing cone or timing issue, and not cost an arm and leg to fix. Returning it to Ruger may be the best option, as if found defective, there may be no cost to you for the repairs. It may be worth a call to their Customer Service Dept., as you've still got that sweet Smith Mdl 657 Performance Center rig for the season.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

glenn asher,

Thanks for the info. I"ll definitely have a gunsmith check it out. I will also give Ruger's Service department a call. Like Rick said, I've got my Smith for deer season so I'm not too worried about it. I was just disappointed after both trips to the range.

Rick

You are right, someone might have traded after finding out the pistol wasn't a shooter, however someone has dumped some money in it as it has an aftermarket finish and has a very sweet trigger! If I were going to customize a gun, I'd want it to be a shooter before I started! Oh well, I guess that's a risk you take with used guns.

acloco

The gun was used, however it was/is spotless. The barrel was very clean with no lead or cooper fouling. I 240 grain .44 Specials (both Winchesters and Magtechs) and I also shot 180 grain .44 Magnums that were from Remington and then I stepped up to 240 grain .44 Magnums from Magtech...wow those babies have a bark!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

SquattingWolf - ah....can you reload? Mine REALLY likes the 220/230/240 grain bullets. I usually drive them at the top of the load ladder with HS6 or HS7.

My reloaded rounds have all the energy of the factory box or aftermarket reloads, but are WAY more accurate. I have probably tried ten different boxes of factory/aftermarket loads...and did not become satisfied with the revolver until I started to reload for it.

Did you change the grips yet? I thought long and hard about the packmyers (spelling??), was worried about peeling skin, but it is NO problem. I have medium/large to large hands and the grips helped quite a bit.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

SW,
It might be worth your while to have the chamber throats measured. My Super Blackhawk has chamber throats that measure .432 and doesn't like jacketed bullets that measure .429 or .430. Since I wanted to use this handgun for deer this season I called Dave Jennings at Montana Bullet Works and ordered some LBT 300 grain WNGC's sized to .432. Loaded on top of 21.0 grains of WW 296 for 1300 FPS this gun will now put 6 rounds into 2" at 50 yards - plenty good enough for Missouri whitetails out to 100 yards or so.

Don't give up on your SB just yet!

Bub
I may not learn fast but I learn good.
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

acloco,

I do reload and was planning on getting dies and components for the .44 Mag along with my .41 Mag. I've got everything else I need, just have to get the dies. I was planning on using the 240 grain Keith bullet at least as a starting point, however I've held off ordering the dies after my trips to the range. I think I'll wait until I can figure out if there is anything wrong with it until I order a new set of dies.