Looking at possibly picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Looking at possibly picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Post by Squatting Wolf »

So I stopped in the locale gunshop afterwork and fell in love with a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag. The gun has a custom finish, the trigger and action have been worked over and it has a couple sets of grips. It also has a smooth cyclinder similar to my Smith & Wesson.

My question is, does someone make a good aftermarket adjustable rear site that will fit this gun? I'm not experienced at all with Ruger handguns.

Thanks,
Matt
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Looking at possibly picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Post by acloco »

Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If it has an unfluted cylinder it must be a New Model Super Blackhawk. I've got one with a 10 3/4 in. barrel that's over 20 years old. It is one of my favorite deer guns along with my Desert Eagle 50 AE. I put a set of Millet sights on it and had the smith do a trigger job. It is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. The square back trigger guard would beat my finger to death so I ended up putting a set of Pachmayr grips on it that filled in the gap behind the trigger guard. Another good investment. I'll post some pictures of it this evening.

http://www.millettsights.com/index.php/ ... series_100

http://www.pachmayr.com/pachmayr/index.htm
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Hamilton Bowen also makes excellent sights for Rugers, and they are easy to install, and more rugged than the aluminum sights Ruger makes.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Thanks for the info so far!

I stopped back in today to the shop and made the purchase, I will be picking it up on Tuesday (dang the holiday!). . It is the New Model Super Blackhawk and has the 5 1/2" barrel. He is going to throw in another set of grips also, either Hogue or Pachmayr.

I will post some picture as soon as I get it home!

Any info on upgrades & recipes for reloads would also be appreciated.

Thanks again.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Squatting Wolf

Well I got out to my gun safe to find that I had forgotten that I had taken the Pachmayr grips off a while back. Oh well, at least I can show you what the Millet sights look like. They are completely adjustable for windage and elevation.

Watch that squared off trigger guard. It hurts!

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: I don't know if you cast your own bullets or not, but you can buy excellent cast bullets of the Keith design for that Super Blackhawk.

For over 30 years, I've used the excellent Keith/Lyman number 429421 bullet, 250grs semi-wadcutter on everything from bunnies to deer, hogs, feral dogs and a few coyotes. No matter what the target, complete penetration is a given, it is accurate, punches full-caliber holes straight through whatever you shoot, and if cast properly, does not lead the forcing cone or barrel.

For "serious" work, I use 20grs of 2400, mag primer, and a heavy roll crimp. This is the equivilent of Elmer Keiths famous load that made the .44 Magnum so popular (besides "Dirty Harry, that is.....), and generates a major power and velocity factor. His old loads were used in baloon head cases with 22.0 grs of 2400, which is too hot for today's brass.

For 85% of most shooting, I use 8.5grs of Unique with the same bullet and standard primer for right at 1,000 fps out of a 6" barrel. Accurate and plenty powerful for most uses, even "social" situations if you carry a 4" revolver.

If you cast your own, try Lyman No.2 alloy, as it will not lead, is hard enough not to break up on bone, and is the most accurate .44 bullet I've ever shot (KeithLyman 429421). No sense shooting expensive jacketed bullets when the cast bullets are usually more accurate, and will make your barrel last virtually forever....or at least your entire lifetime. I've been shooting that bullet since the early '70's, and my oldest .44 barrel looks brand new. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Dittoes on Rick's loads, I thought I was reading my own notes :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Here's several pictures of the new Super Blackhawk I just picked up...can't wait to try her out!

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick

I haven't gotten into casting my own bullets yet, a buddy and mine have been talking about getting into at some point in the future. Can you buy the Keith/Lyman number 429421 bullets or is it something you have to cast yourself? Looking at Midway, I've found some 240 grain semi-wadcutters from various manufacturers.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Matt: Sweeet! There's nothing to bring a big smile to a gun nuts face than the heft and feel of a new big bore revolver or pistol (or a new rifle, or a new shotgun....... :lol: ).

The piece looks about virginal, it appears you got a good one. That unfluted cylinder will add just a tad of weight, and create more mass, and as a result, slightly dampen recoil also. Remember what Skipper said about that squared-off trigger guard though. ;) That barrel length will make it a good companion when out on the trail too.

Lyman and RCBS both make moulds for that bullet, and many of the commercial cast bullet outfits also offer it, as it's about the most popular bullet for the .44 Mag of all the ones available (and for good reason!).

If you try out my loads, you'll appreciate the 8.5/Unique under that Keith 250gr SWC as your primary load for most of your shooting. Good luck with your new sweetie, let us know how she shoots!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick,

I think I might have found the Keith 250gr SWC bullets online at Leadhead Bullets. Below is the link, if you get a minute could you see if I'm looking at the right thing? Thanks again!

https://secure25.securewebsession.com/p ... /order.htm

I'm looking at PM44-250 Keith .429-.430-.431 250GR
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, that's the 250gr Keith .44 bullet alright. I notice they're more expensive now, but what isn't? It appears to be an exact replica of the Lyman 429421, and should be the bullet of choice in the .44 Spl and .44 Mag. Accurate, and cuts full caliber holes.

As an aside, Leadhead is known for high quality cast bullets too, so it appears until you get into casting yourself, you're set with a very good source.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick,

Thanks for checking that site out for me, I was thinking I had found the right bullet but wanted to make sure. It's also good to know that Leadheads is known for high quality cast bullets.

I think I'll start out by trying your load with the 250gr Keith bullet and Unique powder with a standard primer. At some point I will probably jump up to the 2400 powder and make some hotter loads. Is the 2400 good for lighter loads also or is it better suited to the hotter magnum loads?

I am going to pick up a set of .44 mag Redding Carbide dies and all the components in the near future and get to work! I will also be picking up a set of .41 mag dies to start reloading for my Performance Series Smith & Wesson Model 657. I may just have to take them both with me to deer camp! :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

That pistol doesn't have the squared off trigger guard like mine. I haven't kept up with the evolution of the New Model Super Blackhawk. I guess some of the guys at Ruger actually shot the squared off model , got their fingers whacked a few times and decided to round that puppy off. Looks like a good modification. What year model is that pistol?

My 44 will hold them in a 6 inch bulls out to 100 yards from sand bags. The accuracy is exceptional, especially for a 44 magnum. I love to hunt deer with a pistol. I like stalking a lot more than sitting in a tree. Unlike my experiences with bow hunting, the 44 magnum drops them real good. The 50 caliber Desert Eagle blows them over even better.