carry-gun

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
bones

carry-gun

Post by bones »

Thinking about acquring a .45. What's my bottom end for quality autos? Also, the family and I are starting to hike off the beaten path more and more. Is a 45 adequate for anything other than bad guys? Thanks!
work supports my hunting habit
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If you are considering a carry weapon, you need to buy quality. I personally prefer the HK USP Compact 40. It has never failed to feed or fire any ammo I've fed it and it's light enough to carry. I also like the fact that it's a double action. If you're going to bet your life on a side arm, go with the best you can afford.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Like Skipper said, a carry/self defense gun is not the place to accept lesser quality. The two legged predator is probably more prevalent in most areas. I've got a Kimber Pro-CDP (45) that is very accurate and reliable. I've also got a Wilson Combat that is MORE accurate and reliable. There are a lot of good choices, even a big bore revolver makes a great carry gun. I would look for some lightweight models in both semi and revolver, especially if you're going to carry it more than shoot it.
Earl Three Beavers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Earl Three Beavers »

Bones,

As Keith said, quallity is the number one thing: a self defense gun must be reliable above all else.

What configuration of 45 ACP depends on what type you like to shoot most. I'm a fan of the 1911 guns and often carry a Springfield Ultra Compact (Officer's) in a IWB holster.

I also like very much my DAO Kahr P45 with night sights. With the single stack mag it fits the hand like the 1911, and is thinner than a J frame Smith, so conceals very well on a belt scabbard.

For wheelguns, the Smith & Wesson 625 series with moon clips makes a great carry weapon, too, though the gun and spare ammo is harder to conceal unless you're really big. I have to use a vertical shoulder holster for this one.

For hunting you're really looking at thin skinned game at close ranges. And I doubt you'd get much accuracy from a lower end 45, for hunting purposes. Other calilbers might be better for hunting, IMHO. But for two legged varmints, I think you've chosen the best caliber.

A nice thing about 45 ACP is there are two or three .22 LR conversion kits made for 1911 guns and Glocks, maybe other makes? This can make practice fun and economical. :)

For snakes, a spare mag or moonclip loaded with snakeshot can dispatch the scaly varmints nicely when you're hiking. ;)

Good luck!
Lord, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I'll second on the H&K USP 40 Compact. It's my go to gun when it starts getting colder.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bones: The posters above have all given you accurate, 100% spot-on info, and I can only say I agree wholeheartly with all of them.

I too am a .45acp/1911 fan of many years, carry daily, and a long time ago, in a land far, far away, had the opportunity close-up and personal to verify that the .45acp and 1911 platform does what it was designed for, and does it very well indeed.

Quality and reliability are the major concerns in choosing this weapon, the second most important factor is to practice with it with the ammo you intend to carry.

I have Colts and Kimbers myself, but carry a Kimber PDC II daily, and it has never jammed, and has proven to be 100% reliable. My ammo of choice is both WW 185gr Silvertip, and Federal 230gr Hydra-Shock.

Here is my daily carry rig below. In summer the holster is usually either a Bianchi pancake or a Galco SOB rig (Small Of Back).

With the additon of a Kimber .22LR conversion, you'll have an excellent dual purpose rig that will give you a lifetime of use and enjoyment. Good caliber choice; you just will never go wrong with a .45acp. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glocknrock

carry gun

Post by glocknrock »

Go GLOCK N ROCK G-21 Big n slow 230 grain will rock their world
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Don't forget to look at the line-up from Sig. They have lots of choices in .45ACP. Also, I have never had a bit of trouble from my Kimber Tac Pro II, and just recently added a .22 kit to plink with...great fun!!! Gary
bones

Post by bones »

By bottom-end, I was inquiring as to cost here, guys. I know I am really super frugal.(My wife says tight-wad) But, this isn't a place to "make-do".
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

If cost is the issue then I'd suggest a Ruger P Series. Gary
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

plus one on the ruger auto being the bang for buck gun in 45 or 40 cal.
reliable and double action, stainless steel, nice size for a lot of folks...
dan
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Bones - if you're carrying for self defense, it would be real smart to take a basic defensive handgun course from a qualified instructor. Knowing when and how to use the gun is a lot more important than if you're packing a Ruger or a Kimber or a Sig or a Glock or whatever.

Any good, reliable defensive handgun will do - if you're up to it.

Yes, a .45 is capable of taking on not only bad guys, but wild critters. I've taken deer with mine, and have a buddy who killed a bear with his (one shot) and another who dumped a cougar with his. There are better guns (think .44 mag) for defense against bears, but the .45 can do it.

Take the training. Get a concealed weapons permit. You can carry discretely, and nobody will know you're packing, until you want them to know. There are all sorts of pitfalls to using a gun, so learn the right way to carry and how to use it. Much, much more involved than merely being able to hit the target fairly well. Tactics, running the gun, legal ramifications... It's all avail in one of the courses from the better firearms instructors like Clint Smith, or the guys at Gunsite, or Front Sight.

That's me a couple of years ago, teaching the troops combat handgun techniques before they deployed to Iraq. I hope what they got was good enough, I gave 'em everything I could.

Regards, Guy
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Here's my new carry piece...

A Kahr CW40 in 40 S&W....

Just about perfect....

Not my comforter by the way....grin....

Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Guy,
Good post! but what's that shinny thing on your belt? :eek: Badges, we don't need no stinking badges! :lol: Sorry I couldn't help myself. You should be proud of yourself for training our troops, Good job!
Gmoney,
not your comforter?, you got some splain'in to do!!! :shrug:
Gary
bones

Re: carry-gun

Post by bones »

Guy, thanks, that is the major question, isn't it. Since my preferred carry-gun is a short-barrelled 12 gauge, carrying concealed is the only real option.