Custom Bushing Neck Sizing Die

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Custom Bushing Neck Sizing Die

Post by skipper »

I don't like the idea of a Full Length Bushing Neck Sizing Die. I just want to size the neck and not the case. After I fire form my cases to fit my chamber I don't even want to partially size them. I have yet to find a .204 bushing die that will size the neck without disturbing the case so I made one. I had an old RCBS Bushing Neck Sizing Die that I didn't mind experimenting with so I cut it off right below the shoulder. I placed the die in my vise and used a Dremel Drill with a friction wheel attachment. I used the depth measuring end of my calipers to find the start of the shoulder inside the die and marked that distance on the outside with electrical tape. I had to cut and progressively turn the die all the way around. I cut a little proud of my mark and finished taking the remainder off with a file. Now this die will neck size only and stops when it contacts the case shoulder if I want to size the entire neck. I can also set it up a little higher in the press if I just want to size part of the neck. There isn't that much room for adjustment though, since I cut off the majority of the threads. I really like this die now. I use it to vary the neck tension on fired cases for both my .204's.

In this picture you can see the bushing just past the shoulder.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em