cleaning the barrel?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
jason

cleaning the barrel?

Post by jason »

Is there a recommended time to clean the cleaning between shots? I've heard some people only clean the barrel at the end of the season, some clean every day, others every couple hundred rounds. etc.?? My savage vlp shots excellent and do not want to mess up the accuracy!! I use benchrest powder.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I believe it was Whistlepig who just posted his preference to never shoot more than sixty rds before cleaning. Or something to that effect.
I agree. When I'm developing a load I will sometimes give up a touch of accuracy or velocity to get to that same 60rd mark without losing accuracy.

Basically I think 50 or 60 rds with naked bullets is as far as you should go.
Sure you might get more and you might get less.
I bought a used 223 barrel that the owner said had 250rds through it. Judging by the muzzle it was fairly clean with just a hint of copper fouling still in it.
Running patches through it was a very different story though. Two very tight spots not far up from the chamber. These turned out to be copper deposits probably with a touch of carbon thrown in. Even Sweets couldnt get it all out. I got most of it out using 600grit on patches. Even that couldnt get it all and it shoots 3/4 moa at best. Someday I'll try to get the rest but 204's are much more fun.

When in doubt clean it out.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .