flashhole deburring?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
NuMatthu

flashhole deburring?

Post by NuMatthu »

Hi folks

I've been using factory fired Hornady brass and I'm just wondering what tool you can use to debur the flashholes? I normally use a forster unit to do other cals but she only goes down .22cal. Same goes for the Lyman...

:?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've been using the K&M .20 cal flash hole deburring tool, available from Russ Haydon's Shooting Supply in Gig Harbor, WA. It is an excellent tool, but you'll need to replace the silly wire nut handle with a screwdriver handle. I used the RCBS handle, and it now works excellent.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

NuMatthu

Post by NuMatthu »

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Problem might be -> I'm in Australia mate...

All I've seen down here is these two products....though I have heard of some folks ordering stuff from sinclairs international.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

They ship international also, should not be a problem. Here's their contact info:
http://www.shooters-supply.com

email:mjwms@centurytel.net

Ph: 253-857-7557

Toll Free (not sure if this will work from Oz) 877-663-6249

Russ and Marsha are good folks, and he's a real rifleman too, and just as addicted to varmint shooting as all of us.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hunterapp

Flash hole deburing

Post by hunterapp »

If all else fails, check with one of your cutting tool suppliers. A long #2 center drill works well. One will find the tool will be a little to aggressive. Although a few passes with a hone to the face will neutralize the aggressive rake angle will clear up the issue w aggressiveness.

A quick goggle search came up with Boyar Cutting tools. Although the price this supply house list, seems outrageous to me.

Item No.******************* Description**************price
01-602-0204 #2A***#2x4" LS HSS DE CENTRE DRILL *****29.7
Last edited by hunterapp on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KIM204
.204 Ruger Guns: kimber pro varmint 204 ruger

Post by KIM204 »

Rick, I have a K&M .20 cal flash hole deburring tool and I put it in my hand power drill . It works great :D
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Sinclair has one for the 20 cal, it works well for me. I do not know if they ship Downunder?

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

can you use a 22 cal deburring tool by putting it in from the primer end instead of thru the case mouth?
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Varmonter wrote:can you use a 22 cal deburring tool by putting it in from the primer end instead of thru the case mouth?
Don't seem physically possible. No
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Rick in Oregon

Have you ever done any experimentation with enlarging the flash holes? If so what were your results.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skip: In a word, 'no', as so much experimenting has been done on that subject, that I accept the rule of thumb that the drill on a good flash hole deburring tool is of the correct diameter for the case family being processed. From what I've read, no gain has been realized from such goings on, so I feel no need to tred where smarter men have traveled.

I've read of such experiments in Precision Shooting, and from what I can tell, there are three diameters (reference not handy right now) for small and large cases, and one for the PPC family that many Bench Rest Shooters use. Also yet another diameter for pistol/revolver cases.

This is one area of handloading such as duplex loads, flash tubes, forward ignition, etc., that is best left to folks that happen to have their own ballistic labs and piezo pressure testing equipement, and that leaves me out of the picture. I've still got all my fingers and both eyeballs, and plan to keep all my equipment as long as possible. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I believe that enlarging the flash hole would require removing brass. With todays demand on saving money by the manufacturers there is already a minimum of brass in that area. Seems like it would be a good way to push the primer out too due to the larger hole allowing more gas to go backwards. But these are just my thoughts without actually knowing anything. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

skipper wrote:Rick in Oregon

Have you ever done any experimentation with enlarging the flash holes? If so what were your results.
You also run a SEVERE risk, especially with ball powder, to ignite the powder that WILL work it's way into the primer, first.....and then you have terrible problems after the rest ignites.

To put it in redneck terms "it git fugly FAST"!!!
imyz1

Post by imyz1 »

:D Boy am I glad this topic was posted...thanks for the info...

Ken
NuMatthu

Post by NuMatthu »

Hi folks

Well thanks to all the advice I've got myself a K&M .20 cal deburring tool.

Now I've got a question....is it possible to "over" debur the flashhole? I've been using this tool on my factory fired Hornady brass and it seems to remove alot of brass compare to my other tool I use on larger cals. Perhaps its just the brass. One case it appeared the "burr" was so big I could even rotate the tool on it!