case prep & reloading for the average dog

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

By George, I think you've got something there. We could publish a manual on the amount of lead per mph. That might sell a million copies. I know a lot of Texans that shoot from their vehicle. There are a lot of them on the highways around Houston. Cut one off and see how fast they'll bust a cap at 'ya.

I think we will have to expand our scope a little. The Vette goes at least 186. That was where I got scared and shut it down. The telephone poles were going by so fast that I was afraid I would hit one if I veered off the highway. I wouldn't want to be hanging out the top of the car at that speed but, it's a long way from 4225 fps.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

gunsaregood(who started this thread) must think you ALL are drunk! Did he get his ?s answered? :lmao:
Rick, is your bench guaranteed to hold me steady at 186mph?!?!
contender, I think the real question is how much wind drift does the 39gr have in a 186mph cross wind?
One of my favorite sayings use to be,"That goes together like alcohol and firearms!" Now its,"that goes together like alcohol, firearms, 688hp cars and drunken .20 cal fans!!!"
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Hey R D D , I was wondering the same thing , did we get the question answered ?? that was fun and if you can believe it ~!!! I wasn't even a little drunk!!! :D While you at it see if Ricks benchs can fly out of the vette and land up-right ready to shoot in a hurry!! 8)
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Rick
This little baby is the cats a___ meow. The cutter is surperb :hail: .Way easier than using the Lyman hand tool that cost me $20. And!!, it's ALL made in the good ole USA. Thanks for the tip Bud.No more sore hands for me :wink: .

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

contender hunter

I'll second that !!! :eek:
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I purchase cases in lots of 100 ea . I full size the case ,cut them to the same length ,deburr the flash hole, ream the primer pocket, some times I will turn the necks .The last step is to use a RCBS electronic scale to seperate the cases into groups of 20 by weight. The last 100 Hornady 204 cases averaged 94.1 Gr. 39 cases were above average , 61 below average. The heavyest was 95.2 Gr , the lighest was 93.2 Gr. Only 2 Gr difference . I dont know if I helped the accuracy with the extra time spent on weighing the cases but one half inch ,five shot ,100 Yds groups are common from my Ruger 77 Target Varmint rifle.
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

Now this thread started well, but I have to give it to you guys best hi jack I've ever seen.

Now who started this anyway?

This is my best group

I prepped cases exactly how you were going to except I didnt have a neck sizer. Only problem is I have only done this good once.

Usually there are 3 shots in one hole or touching and then 2 that open up the group.

I bought a Lyman flash hole beburrer but it doesnt fit 20 cal. I just got one from Sinclair. I also just got the uniformer and the tool to chuck it in the drill. I havent any unloaded 204 cases at the moment so have tried these new tools on some Win 223 brass and will look for an improvement at the range tommorrow.

The rounds for this group were loaded on a lee kit with standard RCBS seating die. I now have the Rockchucker kit, redding Micrometer die as you have ( we have both been getting advice from the same people) and will eventually get a bushing neck die. It is noticeable that the primers seat slightly below flush and all exactly the same once you do the pockets.

You guys are going to make a loader out of me yet :D
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Trevort, Beats watching the tube. Doesn't it?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hawkeye: See, I told you buddy! Now every primer pocket will be cut to the exact same depth, all primers will be about .005" below flush from the case head: perfect.

trevort: Nice group! I think you'll start to see less flyers as your case prep progresses, and your case-to-case consistency gets better. You're on the right track, and hey, give yourself a break.....you ARE a handloader now! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I think I'm guilty for the hijack. I couldnt help myself. Skipper said something about 688HP!!! So it's really his fault :chin: ........LET'S GET HIM!!! Just kidding. I'm glad more sober heads have prevailed and we're all back on track.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Erl

primer

Post by Erl »

Everything sounds good on your proposed 204 load and you have a great gun. I have one and shooting .38 group. I would recommend you use the CCI Benchrest primer. It groups a lot tighter then the federal Match.
Erl :lol:
bones

Post by bones »

Who makes the best flash-hole deburrer? I don't think Lyman's will fit a .20 case neck.
work supports my hunting habit
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I have a Sinclair, but after reading here about the K&M I think I might try one of those although the handle may need to be modified. The Sinclair indexes off the case mouth and the K&M off the internal web.
contender hunter

Maybe Rick will chime in here , but the k&m is the way to go, it doesn't index off the case mouth like so many others do , this way case length being all exactly the same doesn't enter into the picture , it bottoms out on the bottom of the case so everyone gets the same depth of cut!!It was one of many -Ricks tips ! :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CH: You are spot-on buddy. The K&M is a more intellegent design, as not being dependent on case length by having a positive stop on the case web, you can be sure every case has the same bevel at the flash hole, and it also drills out every flash hole to the same, proper diameter.

When I obtain a new batch of 100 fresh factory cases, the first thing I do is uniform the primer pockets and ream/deburr the flash holes. This way the primary case prep is done right off, and also allows for a through case inspection to find off-center flash holes, split necks, etc., that would eliminate some cases as rejects.

It is just a more well thought out design, and therefore, better IMHO. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails