Stuck bolt in AR15

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
D'zaster
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 AR upper

Re: Stuck bolt in AR15

Post by D'zaster »

I experienced the same issue with 223 hand loads not going fully into battery but it was fixed with the RCBS small base die. When I was setting up to load 204, stayed w the small base version and have not had any issues (other than having to go with a heavier buffer to optimize feeding).This year will be my second season with this rifle. Quite amazing how devastating this cartridge is for ground squirrels.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

An update on bolt/ammo situation I've been going through. I got the case gage and started going through all 500 rounds of the reloaded ammo I bought on line. 10 out of the first 55 failed the gage. The case rim sat slightly above the gage and on some the primer wasn't seated deep enough and protruded past the case. I took the rifle out to the range yesterday with the ammo that passed the gage test. The first 6 rounds fired nicely but the 7th didn't allow the bolt to close completely and the charging handle was again stuck so bad I couldn't get it to extract the unfired round. I removed the takedown pins but the upper wouldn't come apart from the lower completely because of the buffer tube spring but at least the trigger assembly was fully exposed and not capable of firing the round stuck in the chamber. I got home and used my cleaning rod to tap the bullet while pulling on the charging handle and was able to get the round to eject. There were no marks at all where the ogive may have been hitting the lands and no marks on the case except for around the base where the extractor was engaged. I put the cartridge back into the case gage and it sat below the surface indicating a properly sized round. Next trip out I'll only take factory new ammo with me until I build up enough brass to reload my own with small base dies. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll let you know how the next trip to the range turns out. Randy.
randyman

Post by randyman »

Just a quick follow up on the stuck bolt problem-I left the factory reloads at home (I have 500 rounds) and just took some factory new from 3 different manufactures including the cheap steel case stuff. I shot 60 rounds without a single problem. I bought a small base sizer die from RCBS and will try some reloads as soon as I get some extra brass. I checked the bullets at the ogive to see if they were hitting the lands but no indication of that at all.
Unless I can find a home for the factory reloads, think I might pull the bullets and dump the powder so I can resize the brass and reload to what I want. Thanks for everyone's input. Randy.
D'zaster

Post by D'zaster »

Ok so here's a thought...maybe crazy. So Randy has a new set of small base dies. Remove the deprimer/neck sizer rod. Lube the reloads and then resize. As long as the bullet clears the upper part of the resize die, should be ok? Then no need to pull bullets. Just a thought.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I did just than one time, when I found some rounds had too large a base on a 20 practical barrel. But I took the guts out of my 223 Rem small base die and ran the case in and that squeezed the base down just right and they fed fine through the mag and AR. So that could be a option and save time, etc. Bill K
D'zaster

Post by D'zaster »

Excellent!! Thanks confirming, Bill.
-Gary
randyman

Post by randyman »

I know in theory what you're saying about gutting the resizing die and running the loaded bullets thru the small base die sounds doable. But, I don't have the big hairy one's to try it myself. Something just seems wrong about running a primed, powdered case with a bullet in it through the die. By dumping the powder and bullet, I can now reload with my choice of powder and bullet. Time consuming I know, but I won't have to explain the hole in the ceiling if something goes wrong. Maybe someday when I'm a bit more experienced in reloading this practice will make more sense. Randy.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Randy.. Nothing wrong with your way, you are the one that has to be comfortable with it. When I did it, with my rounds, I will admit that it was done on only about 10 rounds. From then on my case's went into the small base die for the AR's. With those 10 round I had no issues and did do each one slow and easy, with Imperial wax on the case. Bill K
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

D'zaster wrote:Ok so here's a thought...maybe crazy. So Randy has a new set of small base dies. Remove the deprimer/neck sizer rod. Lube the reloads and then resize. As long as the bullet clears the upper part of the resize die, should be ok? Then no need to pull bullets. Just a thought.
If you do that, make darn sure there is NOTHING on the shellholder. You don't want anything coming in contact with the primer.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

If you are using the shell holder with the opening for priming, then nothing should be under or between it and the primed case. If it is a solid shellholder, then yes be sure it is clean. bill K
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

The option is to purchase a set of precision shell holders made by Redding. The come in like five to a set with each one with different setting that allows either more or less of the case to be inserted up inside the sizing die.

It may not be required but something to consider.
randyman

Post by randyman »

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject and wanted to give a quick followup on the stuck bolt topic. I tried resizing the loaded ammo by removing the decapping pin from a small base die but found I was deforming about 50% of the shells at the case neck. Just not enough space in the die for the bullet. I only did about 5 or six rounds before giving up but the ones that didn't deform seemed to feed nicely in the rifle. Maybe I can trade these factory reloads for some brass with my shooting friends. Thanks again for all the help. Randy