204 Ruger cleaning equipment

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
gundogblue
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FV

204 Ruger cleaning equipment

Post by gundogblue »

I just bought a Savage model 12 in 204 Ruger, so the first things I have to get for it is a cleaning rod, tip, and brush. I've been on line and it seems Dewy is the only one who makes a slotted cleaning tip in .17 cal, everything else is Jags. a jag is no problem for me but I prefer a slotted tip, so could you guys tell me what your useing to clean your 204's?
Thanks,
Paul
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Re: 204 Ruger cleaning equipment

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hi. A PRO-SHOT 17 or 20 caliber slotted patch holder & everything else including the rod Montana X-treme.
Jim D :camper:
BigG
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter

Post by BigG »

I've been using bore snakes on all my rifles and am using one on my .204. You can google bore snake vs cleaning rod and get all kinds of opinions.

I don't mind, I'll tell you what I do. I'm pretty pedantic though so it may be more than most do.

I stuff a rag/paper towel in the bore before the action.

Stand the rifle up.

On a small caliber I use a plastic syringe, suck up a bunch of Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner, shoot it down the barrel, let it sit for a couple hours.

Remove the paper towel.

Lube up the bore snake bristles with some CLP or Ballistol (or what ever your choice is), run it through the barrel twice , re-lubing the bristles between each pass.

The bore snakes have a loop at the bottom. After the above, I put a couple drops of Ballistol on the bristles and put a couple dry patches through the loop. I repeat until the patches come out clean.

Then, so I don't have a completely dry bore, I put a couple drops of Ballistol on the bristles, put a couple drops on some patches and pull the snake through.

It takes forever and by the end I'm ready to be done :wall:
johnhenry
.204 Ruger Guns: M-77 Hawkeye Predator .204

Post by johnhenry »

I use stainless 17 cal rod with a home made plastic guide. It gets the job done, but I will upgrade to the new fiber rods Ive been hearing about. Less chance of bore damage from rod flex.

Some liquid bore cleaners are corrosive (and work well) so pay close attention and always follow up with a lube.

Ive recently tried JB non-embedding bore compound. Great stuff IMHO. The rest is just time effort and lots of patches and spray cleaner (Tetra Action cleaner) sprayed from the chamber on a standing barrel.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Using a slotted jag is one of the very worst things you can do to a rifle barrel. Think about it.....the jag will be in contact with the rifles bore during every pass. Do you really want a piece of metal, even brass rubbing on your lands?

A spear-point jag is the absolute best and prevents any metal from ever contacting the bore. Go to any rifle match and watch what the pro's are using. I'm betting you won't find a single person using a slotted jag.......ever. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Highcountry
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger m77 v/t

Post by Highcountry »

I use a Dewy rod and a spear point jag. After the patch and jag clear the muzzle, the jag come offs before the Dewy comes back through.
I use Bucthes Bore Shine and Butches Gun Oil, I used both on my V/T during barrel break-in. I can't say it helped but the gun shoots extremely tight groups.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Let me clarify myself. I has just telling of another brand of slotted tip. I don't use a slotted tip except I use a Hoppes 22 caliber plastic slotted to clean my chamber & throat area only. For my patches I use the Montana X-treme brass pointed jag.
Jim D