Load Development

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Load Development

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote:Hi Rick...were those the tipped or hollow-point Varmageddons? If I could ever get my hands on the "tipped" version I'd try them out.
Jim: All bullets fired on those test targets were of the Tipped variety. I've got zillions of the HP's stashed for if/when I can't get the tipped versions, but I much favor the Tipped versions for their much better BC in the rat patch.

For some reason, I've had much better accuracy with the Tipped bullets compared to their HP cousins. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

No problem with the thread deviation, I love to see pictures and here you & JW's comments. Please send out whatever. Have a merry Xmas and a great 2017 to all,
Jim D
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

They were the tipped Varmageddons that I used. Worked up to a maximum of 30 gr. of BLC(2) but my best accuracy was at 28.5 gr.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I am with Rick on this one also. The Nosler HP's will work, but I have also had much better accuracy with the Tipped version. They are hard to come by in my area, but when I find a source, I grab and stash them also. :D Bill K
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

To give my 2 cents worth, I've had very good results using the load development method described on the OCW (optimum Charge Weight) website, there is even a MS spreadsheet that's handy to establish and track you load workup, but besides that as far as choosing the components I couldn't agree more. The 204 maybe the easiest cartridge to establish a load for since it shoots so inherently accurate.

to veer off a little and I'm probably going to be sorry or at least feel foolish for asking Bill in Oregon, I'm looking at your targets and those are very nice groups, how do you get a group smaller that your bullets diameter? I measure outside to outside spread and subtract one diameter to get a center to center measurement.
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

OK I do feel foolish, I answered my own question when i thought about it, I see how one could have a spread less than a bullet's dia measuring center to center I went back and checked my 22-250 & .204 targets and see I was real close to doing that, i just haven't ever paid all that much attention to group sizes since I target shoot solo,
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Just wondering where you shoot? I was trying out a bunch of different loads earlier this week at the pits by the airport. It would be nice to have another set of eyes from someone familiar with the 204. Randy. Sorry for hacking this thread!
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

sent you a PM with my cell #, i use almost any excuse to go there.